Sunday, March 10, 2013

Gooooooddd Morninnngg Vieeetnammmmmmm

      This morning I decided to be adventurous and try a Vietnamese iced coffee- or at least what I think was? While living in Houston, I became familiarized with a lot of Vietnamese customs- you wouldn't think of it if you've never lived there, but there are A LOT of Vietnamese people living in Houston. Half of the jobs I held there we in Salons owned by Vietnamese. I had heard some of them talk about it, and I know I love iced coffee and I enjoy Thai iced tea (I know, my reasoning is flawless)....
     So, a Vietnamese iced coffee is traditionally sweetened condensed milk, a very strong coffee and ice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_iced_coffee. I used espresso because that's what I had. (Nespresso machines are the greatest thing ever for coffee lovers, the pods are expensive but worth it, you can pick a basic machine up for around a bill$) I also used fat-free condensed milk because of the whole WW thing- even though I cheated all weekend, were talking Hungry Howies and Dairy Queen cheated. Anyhow I think I probably should have asked one of my Vietnamese friends for the low-down before I made it, because it wasn't very good :( Normally it does require a special machine/kind of coffee but I have heard of recipes that say just "really strong coffee". It was ok, but didn't hold a candle to my WW iced caramel macchiato- post coming soon. Over all, I give "my Vietnamese iced coffee" a solid C.

No comments: